Monday, September 18, 2006

Portable Computing?


I recently completed my order for a new Dell laptop, in order to free me from using the less than modern device I have at my current client and the desktop I have at home. Yes, I am a little behind the times in purchasing a personal laptop, but until now, I wasn't able to justify one... The one I ordered is your standard laptop - 15.4 monitor, but somehow in my browsing I missed this beast. Definitely a niche audience for this device. Maybe this is Dell's answer to the long tail of laptops? Although this probably isn't the mobile device for most business folks out there, I would be willing to bet more than a few gamers will be eying this so they can have an 'at home' experience as they sit for hours in the local coffee shop playing Everquest or WoW. Hopefully they don't have to walk or bike around town... On the business end one probable group of folk that would have a real need for something like this might be mobile architects. Imagine showing up at the construction site with this 'little' gem.

In a world where technology continues to get smaller, this defies the trend, and is reminiscent of the cell phone bricks people use to carry around. However if you use this as a replacement for your Stereo, TV and home PC combined, then I guess the rule still applies.

No comments: